As the pace of global change increases, so therefore does the need for flexibility. A curriculum defined purely in subject terms is therefore not always well suited to equipping every young person with the knowledge, skills and understanding they will need for a fulfilling adult life.
Our Curriculum policy is based on our mission of enabling our students to equip our students with the necessary skills to meet the challenges they will face on leaving school, whilst also consistently competing with the very best schools in national standards of achievement. We seek to nurture the talents of all students and celebrate success in a diversity of academic disciplines, whilst offering learning opportunities which are differentiated and personalised to cater for different learning styles and aptitudes. In aspiring to be a centre of excellence in teaching and learning, we place strong emphasis on the use of technology as a tool for learning.
JS Margaret School’s Curriculum aims
The curriculum should inspire and challenge all learners and prepare them for the future. The school’s aim is to develop a coherent curriculum that builds on student’s experiences and that helps all student to become successful learners, confident individuals, responsible citizens and effective leaders.
Specifically, our curriculum aims to help our students to:
- Achieve high standards in their learning and make excellent progress.
- Enable those not performing to expectations, based on prior achievement data, to narrow the gap and achieve their full potential.
- Have and be able to use high quality personal, learning and thinking skills and to become independent learners.
- Have and be able to use high quality functional skills, including key literacy, numeracy and ICT skills.
- Be challenged and stretched to achieve their potential.
- Enjoy and be committed to learning.
- Value their learning outside the formal academic curriculum.